Sunday, August 14, 2011

Swing within yourself... Steve the double amputee

When you go to the golf course every day you sometimes get into a routine.  Then someone inspirational comes out to play and moves you.  Today that happened and his name is Steve.  Steve is a double amputee due to an accident.  To watch him swing was inspirational.  To speak to him was beyond words...

Steve's swing is unconventional.  His lower body has trouble supporting any type of weight transfer.  His golf swing is built around his arms and other levers delivering the club into the ball in a fairly steep angle of attack.  Notice that Steve does not have a significant bend from the hips, nor does he rotate his shoulders.  All things we as instructors might attempt have him accomplish.  Steve swings very much like a "Ferris wheel" swing to maximize his ball striking.

As I talked to Steve I found myself wishing that every student could have his perspective.  Steve said, "I just try to swing within myself and not try to do too much."  A mini tour hopeful before his accident Steve's lowest round post accident is 101 and he self admitted that he, "drove the ball pretty poorly that day." I could have been watching any normal student.  But Steve was is as exceptional as he is unique.

Steve was practicing for the upcoming 63rd National Amputee Championships at Rio Verde Country Club in Arizona.  He had qualified by winning his division last week.  His swing coach, Dennis Willer, PGA, told me, "I am thankful to work with a man like Steve.  I am happy he came to me."  Aren't we all Dennis.  Good luck Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment